Sunday, June 20, 2004

Orpheus Descending

Well, we went and saw this rarely produced Tennessee Williams play today at Arena Stage.

I found it very moving. It is not a happy play by any means, but it has alot about love and desire. Set in his own Southern past, I see so much of my family in their attitudes in it. Val seemed to bring life back to Lady especially after she discovers Jabe's dark secret. The play really moved me. I see why it took 17 years for Williams to write, before it was produced. It also has some of his most powerful imagery in my mind compared to what I have seen in Cat on A Hot Tin Roof or the Steetcar Named Desire. I see why it is rarely done because of this. There are points in time, where I found myself very disturbed. There are also times where I laughed very heartily.

Arena Stage always does wonderful performances and this time was no exception.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home