Wednesday, July 20, 2005

New Supreme Court

Well, at first blush I think the new supreme court nominee will be an interesting change. He has a lot of business background, which means that the Supreme Court will probably weigh in more on labor and business issues. I am not entirely sure that is a good thing. I fully expect to see a challenge to Roe v. Wade in the next term as one of his first test cases. I think it will be overturned. We might also see an end to collective barginning if it hits the courts.

I am sad to O'Conner go cause I think she cut her path and was a good Justice. Sadly, I think we will never again have a Court like that had Marshall; Frankfurter; Bremer or other highlights. None of them could survive the nomination process. I can hope that they will mature into it, because once you are on the bench it is near impossible to get you off so they might have a mind of their own after the process is done.

I think the timing of the announcement makes good cover for Rove, which is what Bush wanted. Bush needs to keep his word and fire Rove even if he made mention vaguely. We should not allow people with that casual disregard for those folk who routinely gather needed intelligence to serve in the White House.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home