Monday, January 30, 2006

Senators and the RIAA

Got this link from a friend. It is a really good article.

I can see both sides to some extent. On one hand you have folks who make money by creating stuff, they should get the money they need to survive. The other hand is that the industries that control this process are charging so much, people cant afford the product.

Movies are a great example. I love going to the theatre to see a movie. I love the large screen and the experience of seeing something with people around me. I hate the price of tickets now. I think they are way over inflated. I think everyone wants too much money for it. I hate that I pay a fortune and have to sit through commercials. I hate that food prices are like I am buying a gourmet meal. I understand why all these elements exist, but I dont have to like it. More often than not, I am voting with my feet by not going. I constantly debate going to see a movie or waiting to rent it. More and more often, rent it wins.

The movie/music/art/game industries have gotten greedy. They need a dose of reality otherwise, they will continue to see their products stolen. If they dont get a handle on their greed, the situation will only get worse.

Conversely, we need to stress that stealing isnt really acceptable. I understand it goes on and people do it, but when we steal media others can lose their jobs. It isnt the fat cat lawyers and executives that get hurt. It is the artist or roadie or key grip who loses their jobs and careers. The top of the chain never hurts and the bottom always does. Nor do the Senators and Lobbyists care because they still get their money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home